My last post was about our cute lil kittens we had just adopted. Todays post is about those cute little kittens we had to give back. Sniff-sniff.
It all started with me (Sheri) getting the sneezies shortly after the cats arrived. Then I started getting the sniffies. Then my throat started to swell and become sore. I thought I was getting a cold, but everytime I left the house I mysteriously felt so much better.
Well, I am officially allergic to cats now. Never have been my entire life...why now?? So, I thought, I'll just take an allergy medicine because there is no way I'm taking those cats back!! (I'm pretty sure I wanted the cats more than the kids ever did!) Allergy medicine took away all my ailments except my swollen throat, and a nagging cough. It wore on me and I was just dragging ( maybe the allergy medicine too?).
Gene and I sat the kids down and told them what was happening. After A LOT of tears from EVERYONE we decided to take the cats back. And today was the day we did it. We ALL cried on the way there....and we ALL cried on the way back. Then we went and got milkshakes to try to cheer everyone up.
THEN at family prayer tonight....it was Audrey's turn to pray and she said in her prayer..."thank you for helping us make the right choice, so Mom can feel better." And then all the kids told me not to feel bad, because like all good Broadhursts do, I was crying again. Do I have great kids or what???
Got any ideas about cute cuddly pets other than cats?
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Sheri,
I am soooo sorry! I know how hard that is as we had to give MAx away and I am still reeling with guilt and Jax is still sad. I am so sorry. You are so lucky to have such great kids.
Hang in there!
Kels~
RABBITS!!! RABBITS!!!! RABBITS!!! I'm saying that because I'm excited! Not just because they procreate twice as fast as I can type the word :)
Sheri, I love my little Sassie like a child. Carrie says the dog is loved more than most children! And I tell Carrie that if she doesn't behave, I'm leaving everything in my will to Sassie. :)
She's a miniature Schnauzer. Carrie is allergic to cats too. The ones with the long hair really get her allergies going immediately - but the shorter haired ones it takes a while. Her eyes swell all up and she starts sneezing and all - sounds just like what happened to you. But Sassie doesn't have any effect on Carrie at all. We have a fenced in yard for Sassie - with a doggy door - and she comes and goes inside and outside as she wants. Works out perfectly. And when I want her inside, I just lock the doggy door. She's well behaved and goes on trips with us too. I have put her in a nice kennel before when we were flying commercial somewhere, and she did great at the kennel (it was more like a doggy hotel or spa). But she goes with us on road trips - she just went to Tenn. with us in December, and she's a great traveler. She wears a little doggy seat belt harness that is attached to our car's seat belt. I know - OK I'm a little weird, but I want her safe in the car too. Sassie came from a Schnauzer rescue place. She was probably 9 months old when I got her. There's a lot of little dogs out there needing families. :)
Love ya!
Oh Sheri, poor you! Many in my family have developed allergies later in life! We tried a hamster a few times, but I hated cleaning out the cage. Now we just have two beta fish! What sweet children you have!
Oh lovey...at this VERY MOMENT I have just gotten out of the shower with my arms covered in little welts, my eyes itching like a banche, my throat screaming to be scratched with a toothbrush, my nose dripping like a fawcet...because I gave in YET AGAIN to our 2 darling kittens who purr at the site of me. I was on the swing and they jumped in my lap and I thought, I just won't touch them...RIGHT. Anyway...They are outside so I rarely have to touch them...but obviously, all it takes is a little contact. Tell Mom about it and ask her what she can do to help:^)
Natalie
LOVE YOU, and yes, you have AMAZING children and some dear pet is on its way to you...
Thanks for all the sympathy from everyone....Paula we have thought about a small dog, but I had forgotten how great mini Schnauzers are. I had a boyfriend in college who's parents had one and not only did they adore it, but so did I, it had the cutest personality. After all the trauma I think we are going to take some time and not rush into getting the next pet! :)
Dogs > Cats ... enough said!
Oh Sheri....I am so sorry. I know how bad you wanted a kitten. I wish I was there because we would have taken the kittens. We just had to put our dogs and one of our cats to sleep because of old age and bad health. We are now just left with 2 cats so I promised the boys next track out we would go pick out a kitten. Maybe you could try a puppy??? Give the kids hugs and kisses from us. Love, Mona
Sheri, that is the saddest story. I'm so sorry. It's just not fair. You do have great kids. I hope you guys feel better soon.
Post a Comment